Image Map

Friday, September 10, 2010

Chocolate Buns

Ask and you shall receive, kinda. So last week I proposed a question, “What sweet should I make next?” With the choices of a. Layer cake, b. cinnamon rolls, c. cookies or d. scones, I knew which one would win. And I was correct. The winner was cinnamon rolls! Of all the choices, I knew cinnamon rolls would be the most work and time intensive. Cookies I could throw down in ten minutes, same with scones. A layer cake would take some time to frost, but maybe two hours tops.



Cinnamon rolls are a yeast bread. This meant that I would have several times to sit and wait, something that I am not good at. The yeast breads that I have made in the past haven’t turned out so well because I get antsy. That dough ball looks doubled in size, right? I need to let the dough rest for how long? Oh boy, now I need to let the dough rise again? I call shenanigans on this recipe!


So this weekend I took on the cinnamon rolls, but I wasn’t in the mood for cinnamon. I was in the mood for chocolate! Here I am, standing in front of my spice rack, trying to figure out what will go well with the chocolate pastry. Then it hits me, the blackberry jam! Mmm, chocolate pastry filled with sweet jam. Perfect.


A little internet search lead me to a chocolate cinnamon roll recipe from Cooking Light. So not only is this delicious, but it’s good for you! (That’s what I’m telling myself, don’t say anything) The recipe just needed a little tweaking, the dough was too wet, the spices wouldn’t work with the jam, but I think we came out with a winner.


The chocolate buns themselves aren’t terribly sweet, so I decided a cream cheese frosting was in order. When is cream cheese frosting not a good idea? Okay, maybe you shouldn’t slather it on your steak, but other than that, pile it on. I’m actually eating a spoonful of it right now, don’t judge.



Chocolate Buns
Adapted from Cooking Light

1 package dry yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 ¼ cups warm skim milk
1 stick margarine, melted
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 ½ cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
Vegetable spray
¼ cup blackberry jam (raspberry or boysenberry would also work well)
¼ cup sugar

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk and allow to bloom for 5 minutes. It should get foamy, letting you know you yeast is alive. Add margarine, vanilla and egg. Stir to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together 4 cups of the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Add this to the liquid ingredients and stir to form a shaggy dough.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Add as much of the remaining ½ cup flour to keep the dough from sticking to your hands.

Grease a large bowl with vegetable spray. Put dough into bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit in a warm space (85°) for about 45 minutes. The dough should be double in size in this time.

Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 8x16” rectangle. Spread the jam on the dough then sprinkle with ¼ cup of sugar. Roll up the dough, tightly, into a 16” long roll. Cut the roll into 16 slices, using a sharp knife or string.

Grease the bottom of a 9x13” pan with cooking spray. Arrange the slices in the pan, cut side up. Cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes. Bake the rolls in a 350 oven and bake for 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the pastry should come out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Add frosting and enjoy!

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
6 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar

Mix together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. With the mixer on low, add powdered sugar. Mix until smooth, then for one additional minute. Lick the beaters then frost the chocolate rolls.

Print this Recipe...
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Vicki, you are EVIL! Chocolate cinnamon rolls-I gotta try these...I can't wait:) I voted for cinnamon rolls, so I guess it's partly my fault if I end up in a sugar coma tomorrow afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr, I'm trying to find how to subscribe to your blog because I love it but Blogger's being difficult =/ These look scrumptious, and your writing makes me smile =)

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails