Image Map

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chorizo and Vegetable soup

This is what it looked like when I stared out my apartment window this Sunday.



Yup. Grey, dark and stormy. It was one of those days where you just want to curl up on the couch and watch a bunch of terrible movies. Sadly for me, I don’t own a couch. It just wouldn’t fit in my palatial, 325 square foot apartment. It was either a bed or a couch and I decided I could probably use a place to sleep.


The second problem I faced was the work I had to do in the lab. Why did I set up chemistry that needed attention Sunday morning? Because I’m a crazy person, apparently. So, I had to trek into work and pay some attention to my chemicals. Now, I only live a mile away from work and I had driven into work the past two days. These two factors combined led me to decide that it was a good day to walk to work. Oh boy, what a mistake.

The walk into work wasn’t particularly bad, just windy. It got to be a problem when I wanted to leave work. Bands of rain came and went over the hours I was in the lab. From calm to downpour and back again in just minutes. How was I supposed to get home? Like I said, bad day to walk to work. Finally, during a break in the weather, I decided to head out.


Halfway home, whoosh! Downpour! Umbrella in hand, fighting the wind, I battled my way home. My poor little umbrella, it was working so hard. I think I managed to keep my head dry. When I got back to my apartment my coat was soaked through. After shedding my soaked coat and rubber boots, I had to laugh. I was completely dry, except for my jeans. From where my coat ends at my mid-thigh, to where my boots begin below my knee, was completely soaked. Wet knees. Time to change into some sweatpants and make soup.



Chorizo and Vegetable soup
Adapted from Vegetables

To make your life easier you can chop everything first, grouping them in two bowls (like I've pictured above).  That way you can just toss it all in the pot at the required time.  Be sure to cut all of your vegetables approximately the same size.  This will ensure that they take roughly the same amount of time to cook.  Feel free to add more or less of any of the vegetables.  You could even remove the chorizo and make this a vegetarian soup!

12 oz chorizo, diced
Olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
¾ tsp cumin
2 ½ cups chicken stock
1-28 oz can of whole, peeled tomatoes (drained & chopped)
1 russet potato, peeled & diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried parsley
¼ tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup corn kernels

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chorizo from pot to a plate with paper towels. Allow the towels to soak up some of the grease.

Add some olive oil to the pot and add onion, celery, garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Add chorizo, stock, tomatoes, potato, peppers, tomato paste and spices. Simmer the soup until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.

Remove bay leaf and add corn. Simmer until corn is heated through.  Dish out a big bowl and serve with some crusty bread!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails