Image Map

Friday, January 21, 2011

Snack Week! - Zucchini Bread

The only photo I have, because they ate it all...
Happy Friday everyone! Where has the week gone? From the sounds of it, half of the world has been sick this week with some cold or flu virus or another. I know that I was. Luckily I had all these tasty snacks in my fridge, ready for that mild hunger pang of a sick person. You know how it goes, you’re hungry, but you just can’t manage to eat something tangible? Snack week couldn’t have come at a better time.


Did you also hear that everything was ready for me? I prepared all of these foods on Sunday! So maybe you have a crazy work week ahead, maybe the kids have an insane amount of obligations or maybe you want to have some free time this week. Take a few hours on Sunday and you’ll be all set for the week. All of the baked goods require nothing more than a bowl and a big spoon.

This last treat for snack week is something that I never actually ate. I brought these loaves into work and they were gone before I even had a slice. It was three o’clock in the afternoon and I was feeling hungry. Thinking, nobody was eating the zucchini bread, I bet I can get myself a snack. Walk walk walk to the break room. Noooo! An empty container! Where did it all go? According to one of my labmates, if it’s there after three, it’s going to disappear quick. Nuts, maybe I should have hidden some.

Tomorrow, for the last day of Snack Week! I'll be posting many of my favorite pre-packaged healthy snacks.  Because sometimes you just don't have the time!  Thanks for tuning in this week!  Oh, what to do next week, last week of healthy January.  Have you been behaving?  Detoxing from all those cookies?

Zucchini Bread

This turned into an afternoon snack for my coworkers, mostly because I also brought in cinnamon rolls and they ate those for breakfast.  I usually like to have a small slice of this bread before I head to the gym.  I baked these in mini-loaves, so a serving size is one-quarter of the loaf.  If you decide to bake it in a large loaf pan, then one serving is 1/12 of the loaf.  Be sure not to eat the whole thing!

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 cup shredded zucchini
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a medium bowl, mix egg, sugar, zucchini and oil. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour sugar mixture in the center. Stir until just combined then add walnuts.

Heat the oven to 350°. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan (or three mini-loaf pans) with cooking spray. Add batter to your loaf pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes (9x5) or 30 minutes (mini pans). A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.

Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove from the pans. Cool completely before wrapping in plastic wrap. Let the bread sit overnight before serving, the crumb and flavor will be better.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails