Image Map

Monday, February 7, 2011

Orange Chiffon Cupcakes & Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

Can you believe that it’s been one-hundred posts already! I feel like we’ve been through so much together. Since I’m 100, does this mean that Willard Scott is going to mention me in his Smucker’s 100? Maybe make some terribly inappropriate comment about me?


I thought that we should celebrate with some cupcakes. I know some people have been on the lookout for some savory posts; that will have to wait until after the party! Savory posts later this week, after I’m all sugared up.


Every time I ask my lab mates what I should make, I get the same suggestions. There are always requests for cheesecake, chocolate and cupcakes. One lab mate even went and bought me some cupcake liners, because he really likes cupcakes. I realized that I haven’t made cupcakes in months, so I made some to celebrate this momentous occasion.


No matter what anyone says about cupcakes being “so last year,” I’m still a HUGE cupcake fan. Every time boyfriend and I go to New York, we head to different bakeries and get cupcakes. Well, we get cupcakes, then I eat them. Boyfriend isn’t much of a dessert fan. I have more cookbooks for cupcakes than anything else. Cupcakes are just that perfect single serving of dessert. They are just the right size to have two, without feeling guilty about it. Macarons might be hot right now, but they will never replace my beloved cupcakes. Especially not these cupcakes, they were delicious.

Orange Chiffon Cupcakes
With Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Cupcakes!
These cupcakes are so light and airy, be careful when folding your egg whites into the batter. Be sure to zest your orange first, then juice it. You’ll get the best results with fresh orange juice and the most delicious cupcakes ever.

1 ½ cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
4 eggs, separated
1/3 cup water
1 ½ tsp grated orange zest
¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 325 F and prep 24 muffin cups with paper liners.

Sift together cake flour, ¾ cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in oil, egg yolks, water, zest, juice and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture until smooth, about 3 minutes.

In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Slowly add sugar and beat until whites are glossy and smooth. Add whites in three portions to the batter mixture, folding gently until no streaks remain.

Pour about ¼ cup of batter into each muffin cup, should be about ¼-inch below the tops of the liner. Bake for 30 minutes or until tops are golden and cupcakes test done with a toothpick.

Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool for 1 minute in pan. Remove cupcakes from the pan and rest them on their sides to cool completely.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

½ cup butter, room temperature
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange zest
3 cups powdered sugar

Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla and orange zest, beating until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat on medium for about 2 minutes, until frosting is light and fluffy.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails