Image Map

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Apple Marshmallows & Apple-Cinnamon Crispy Treats

I’m going to be honest with you, I’ve had these marshmallows in my house for three weeks. I would come home from work and have one, you know, a little sugar to fuel my workout. Each marshmallow tasting like a fluffy apple pie. Now, doesn’t that sound tempting?


A big slab of happiness!

I have become addicted to making marshmallows. This is mostly due to Eileen Talanian’s book – Marshmallows. These marshmallows were to most fun batch yet, they are fluffy, springy and bouncy. They are so full of air and flavor. These little pillows have a hint of cinnamon and a subtle tartness.


Once I finished preparing, cutting and coating the marshmallows I had to decide what to do with them. These apple marshmallows were too fun to let them just exist as marshmallows. Sure, they make a wonderful candy, but I thought they could be even better. Then it came to me, in a rush of sugar-induced giddiness… Rice crispy treats! Apple-cinnamon rice crispy treats, drizzled in caramel.


And that’s just what I did. Let me tell you, these will rock your world. Now I’m sitting, leafing through Eileen’s cookbook, thinking of all the amazing flavors of crispy treats that I can make. Chocolate, honey, matcha, dulce de leche, the options go on and on. I’m also wishing I hadn’t shared my cooking plans with my coworkers, because I want to hoard these treats and eat them all myself.



Apple Marshmallows

4 tbsp gelatin
¾ cup apple juice concentrate
1/3 cup cold water

¾ cup apple juice concentrate
½ cup water
¾ cup marshmallow syrup (Make it or buy it!)
Pinch salt
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and gently wipe out most of the oil with a paper towel.

In a small bowl, combine first three ingredients. Whisk to combine.

In a medium stockpot, combine remaining ingredients and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, wash down any sugar crystals from the sides with a wet pastry brush. Clip on your candy thermometer and cook until the temperature reaches 250 F (do not stir).

Pour gelatin bloom into hot mixture and stir to dissolve. Pour into a large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer) and whip for about 15-20 minutes. The marshmallow batter will get fluffy and shiny.

Pour batter into prepared pan and allow to sit overnight.

In a zip-top bag, combine ¾ cup powdered sugar, ¼ cup cornstarch and 1 ½ tsp Saigon cinnamon, shake to combine. Remove marshmallow slab from the pan and cut into your desired size and shape. You can use a pizza wheel or a big knife. Coat the marshmallows in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Enjoy the marshmallows as is or…

Apple-Cinnamon Crispy Treats
An Original Wilde Recipe

8 ounces apple marshmallows (I weighed these out)
2 ¼ tbsp butter
4 ½ cups crisp rice cereal
1 tsp cinnamon

In a big bowl, stir together cereal and cinnamon until the cinnamon evenly coats the cereal.  In a medium saucepan, melt marshmallows and butter over low heat. Stir until smooth and combined. Pour marshmallow over crisp rice cereal and stir until all the cereal is coated. Spray a 9x9 pan with cooking spray, pour sticky cereal into pan. Spray your hand with cooking spray and press cereal into the pan. Allow to cool completely. Drizzle with caramel sauce and cut into squares.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails