Image Map

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Peanut Brittle

This one's for my mom!  If there's anyone out there who I know will be thrilled with this recipe, it's my momma!  I've been putting off this traditional candy treat because I wasn't sure I'd be able to reproduce that classic flavor.  Peanut brittle has such a specific taste, if it isn't right, then it isn't peanut brittle.  Luckily, this recipe turned out dead on prefect.


I made a small batch this time, just to be sure that I got it right.  The only problem that I had with this recipe had nothing to do with anything that I did.  I'm sure that most of you living in the states got to enjoy the fabulous heat wave that rolled across the country.  Making hard candy in this type of hot and humid weather is not a good idea.  I made these on a dry day, but then the humidity rolled in and the candy made it's best attempts at sticking together.  What was a girl to do?  Eat it!




Peanut Brittle

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
3/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp baking soda

Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a 2 quart pot.  Cover and bring to a boil for 3 minutes.  Remove cover and attach candy thermometer.  Cook to 240 F without stirring.

Add peanuts and cook, stirring continuously, until the temperature reaches 320 F.  The sugar should begin to turn golden brown.  Remove from the heat and add salt, butter, vanilla and baking soda.  Stir to incorporate completely. 

Pour into the prepared pan and smooth out with a greased offset spatula.  Allow to cool to room temperature then break into manageable sizes.  Delicious!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails