Image Map

Friday, August 26, 2011

Nectarine Melba Crumble

Okay, I gave in. I signed up for my companies annual flu shot day. I didn't want to do it, but I think that I have no choice. I mostly didn't want to get the shot because I really hate getting shots.


I'm like a toddler when it comes to needles. I use needles and syringes on a daily basis at the lab, to measure out liquids and inject them into my reactions. They never come in contact with me and I freak out when I think I've poked through my glove with one (mostly because I don't work with the most friendly of chemicals). The flu shot comes in a needle and this is why I avoid getting them.


There are two reasons why I have decided that this is the year I get a flu shot. I spent the last seven years working in an academic lab. This meant seeing the same five people day in and day out. I was rarely in contact with anyone from the outside world. I lived in a safe, little, germ-free lab. Suffice it to say, my immune system is low from not being exposed to lots of worldly germs.


The second reason that I need a flu shot is simple. I am a commuter now and there seem to be lots of sick people on the train. Every mornin an night, there are people coughing and sneezing, looking all miserable and sick. Aside from not touching anything on the train, I think the flu shot is a good line of defense against sickness this winter.


The posters around the office, telling me to SIGN UP! are making me feel like I really should. Does this mean that summer is over? Sad day.


Nectarine Melba Crumble

Before summer is over, you have to make this dessert! A mixture of farmstand nectarines and store-bought raspberries, I haven't had something this delicious since last summers blueberry-nectarine cobbler. Enjoy with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes

2-3 cups nectarines
1 pint raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
juice from 1/2 lemon

Mix together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and oats.  Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter or with your hands.  Set aside while you prepare your fruit filling.

Cut a small X on the bottom of each nectarine.  Immerse each piece of fruit in boiling water for 30 seconds.  Remove from the boiling water and allow to cool for a few minutes.  Peel off skin.  Cut peaches in 1/2-inch pieces.  Combine with raspberries in a large bowl.  Add lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch.  Toss to coat the fruit. 

Divide fruit between 5-6 medium-sized ramekins.  Add crumble topping to each ramekin and place them on a baking sheet.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and serve with vanilla ice cream.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails