Image Map

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wilde in Chicago

Hello from the sunny Midwest!  Today I'm coming to you from my hotel room in downtown Chicago, sending you some tasty cookies rather than dinner.  Why am I in the windy city this fine Tuesday morning?  I'm off on my first official business trip!


The majority of my coworkers and I have packed up and relocated to Chicago for a week long conference.  I've been spending endless hours in dark rooms, watching powerpoint presentations and listening to scientists talk about their research.  There is a lot of biology, a little bit of chemistry and a whole lot of note-taking!  Let me tell you, my brain is fried!


 Luckily we've been able to enjoy the evenings away from the conference and in the great city of Chicago.  I've spent a lot of time here in the past, with going to grad school in Madison, Wisconsin, a mere two hours up the I-90.  It's been great being back in the city.  I've actually gotten to do a few things that I never had the chance to in the past.

I saw the bean...


I had some deep-dish pizza...


I took a walk through Millenium park...

Yay!  Tulips!  You all know how I love tulips


And I saw the new Trump building...


This building wasn't anywhere near finished last time I was in Chicago!
It's been an exhausting few days, and I've got another day before the conference is over.  I think that I'll sleep very well on my way back to New York City tomorrow night!



One Year Ago: Sponge Cupcakes with Chocolate Swiss Meringue Frosting and Tortellini Soup

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Granola Bar Cookies
A Wilde Original

These cookies were made as a result of a little brainstorming with boyfriend.  He said he wanted a cookie that was like those chocolate and peanut butter chewy granola bars.  I tried to make it happen.  We were both happy with the results.  The cookies are soft and warm right out of the oven, but they harden up a little and are just like a chewy granola bar.  After a few days though they get really hard, eat them within a few days of making them!

6 tbsp butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup golden syrup (or maple syrup)
2 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup mixed chocolate and peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 350 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats.

In a small saucepan, heat butter, brown sugar and syrup until butter is melted and sugar dissolves.

In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, salt and graham cracker crumbs.  Pour butter mixture over the oats and stir with a wooden spoon.  Once all of the oats are wet with the butter mixture, add chocolate and peanut butter chips.  Stir to combine.  If the mixture isn't sticking together, add a few more tablespoons of syrup.

Scoop out 1 tbsp of the mixture and press into a ball with your hands.  Place on the baking sheet and flatten a little with your palm.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack.  Cookies will seem still squishy, but will harden up upon cooling.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails