Image Map

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Apple Pie Ice Cream Topping

Is there anything that reminds us of home more than food?  Whether it be your moms special dinner, your dads secret sauce, the local diners Wednesday night special or the family owned soda shops hand-churned ice cream, there is something about having a meal in your hometown. 


Western New Yorkers have a list of things that are near and dear to their hearts.  We have Teds Hot Dogs (and now the renegade spin-off, Theodores) with their traditional coal-fired grills.  Those in search of a greasy and delicious sub sandwich know to head to Viola's in Niagara Falls.  Looking for good wings?  Head to the Anchor bar when in the city, or Duffs when in the suburbs.  Want amazing chocolate?  I always head to Watsons.


There are also a whole bunch of local goods that ex-pat Buffalonians stock up on when visiting home.  We leave room in our suitcases for Chiavettas bbq sauce, Webers mustard and your favorite wing sauce.  I consider packing fewer clothes than I actually might need so that I can bring home the biggest box of sponge candy that I can find.


There has been one thing that I haven't been able to take home.  Something that I grew up with and spent many an evening enjoying with my dad.  Perry's ice cream.  If you are a Western New Yorker or currently live near a Wegmans grocery store, you know about Perry's.  It's the ice cream of choice for all local ice cream places.  There is a huge ice cream cone right new Niagara Falls that will gladly serve you your favorite flavor of Perry's.  It's called - The Twist of the Mist!


In the first twenty-one years of my life, I must have eaten gallons of Perrys.  I was so confused when I went grocery shopping for the first time in Wisconsin to find no Perrys.  And sadly, ice cream doesn't travel well.

I spent the next eight years enjoying my favorite ice cream only at home.  My dad is a bigger fan of the brand than I am.  I know there will always be at least four or five containers of ice cream in the freezer.  This all changed a few months ago.


I was feeling nostalgic for home during the hot summer months and tweeted Perrys.  It was something along the line of  "I miss you Perrys, come to New Jersey!"  The response I got?  "We are in New Jersey!  Head to the Woodbridge Wegmans!"  I nearly fell off my chair.  Boyfriend picked me up a container of black raspberry next time work took him to central New Jersey.

Life got even better this summer when I was contacted by Perrys and asked to join their "Inside Scoopers" team.  As an Inside Scooper, I get early access to new flavors and most exciting, a trip to the Perrys factory!  My dad is super jealous.

Why yes mom, my fingernails are green.
For my first task as an Inside Scooper, I had to test out the new All Natural flavors.  I know, tough job.  These flavors are made the old fashioned way, the way ice cream was made before science got involved.  No artifical flavors or colors.  The way you probably make ice cream at home!  Four simple flavors - chocolate, chocolate chip, maple walnut and vanilla bean - that just beg to be eaten.
Hello, my name is delicious.
Now I know most of you don't have access to Perry's, but if you're in the WNY area, be sure to stop and get yourself a scoop.  Until then, you can make (or buy!) your favorite vanilla ice cream and top it with heaps of this...  Apple pie topping.  Chunks of sweet apples in a caramely sauce, spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.  It's like an apple pie, without the crust.  It tastes like fall and is just the thing to use up some of those freshly picked apples.

One Year Ago: Mini Reeses Cupcakes
Two Years Ago: Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

Apple Pie Ice Cream Topping
Adapted from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book

When picking an apple to use in this recipe, choose something that will hold its shape when cooked.  Rome, Granny Smith, McIntosh are all good choices.  If you have been to a pick-your-own farm recently, try one of your local apples.  You will be pleased!  I went with a freshly picked Jonagold apple.

1 tsp cornstarch
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp butter
2 large apples
2 tbsp apple juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and lemon juice until smooth.

Peel apples, core and dice into 1/2-inch cubes.  Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Add apples and toss to coat in butter.  Let cook for 7-10 minutes, until the apples are slightly softened.  Add apple juice, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.  Cook until the liquid cooks down and starts to look like caramel.  Add cornstarch liquid and stir to distribute evenly.  Once the liquid starts to thicken, remove pan from the heat.  Stir in vanilla.

Serve hot or cold over ice cream.


Disclosure - Perry's Ice Cream sent me coupons to purchase their new All Natural flavors.  I gave one coupon to be dad, because he was super jealous of all my ice cream coupons.  He tells me that he would make a much better taste tester than I!  (They also sent me that fancy ice cream bowl with my name on it and the ice cream scoop).  Mostly, I'm happy to support my favorite local ice cream business!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails