Image Map

Friday, April 15, 2016

Eggs for Dinner - Shakshuka

I may be strange, but I do not like to eat eggs for breakfast. I prefer sweets in the am. I'm all about French toast, donuts and cinnamon rolls for starting my mornings. I like to reserve eggs for the evening hours. 

And why not? Who ever said that you need to eat eggs only for breakfast? You eat chicken for dinner, so why not eggs? Especially when they are in such a savory dish as this shakshuka.


I have seen this recipe around the internet for a while now and I even say it on a few menus while visiting Istanbul last year. I only recently got around to trying it out and I'm so mad at myself for not trying it earlier. I imagine that it would have been amazing in Istanbul, with fresh feta and vegetables.

Even though I didn't get the feta a eggs from my local farmer, this meal was still absolutely amazing. We had it for dinner one night and I ate the remaining portions for lunch for the rest of the week. Once you prepare all of the vegetables, the dish comes together very quickly, with very little fuss. In about thirty minutes you can have this amazing and flavorful meal prepared, perfect for a weeknight meal.

Don't let the strange name scare you off from trying this dish. And definitely have it for dinner!

One Year Ago: Spring Risotto
Two Years Ago: Peanut Butter Macaroon Brownies
Three Years Ago: Rosemary Chicken & Potato Pizza
Four Years Ago: Potato & Choriquo Gratin
Five Years Ago: Mango Shrimp Curry




Shakshuka
Adapted from Breakfast for Dinner

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 medium eggs
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Pita bread

Heat oil in a large, deep skillet, over mead-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers and cook until onions are translucent and peppers are softened, about 7-8 minutes.  Add entire can of tomatoes, with juice, vegetable broth, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir all of the ingredients together and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until thickened.

Add eggs to the dish by cracking one into a bowl and pouring the egg into the skillet. Do this one at a time until all of the eggs have been added. Add enough eggs to fit into your skillet. You may fit more or less eggs that I did! Cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. If you like runny eggs, cook for less time. If you want your eggs more set, cook for more. Sprinkle with parsley and feta cheese. Serve with pita bread.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails